Thank you for your interest in becoming an ARK foster carer.
We are always keen to work with enthusiastic, compassionate people who want to help a dog or cat get a second chance at a safe and happy life.
To become an ARK foster carer, you need to:
- Be 18 years of age or over.
- Live on the Southern Downs.
- Complete the Foster Carer Expression of Interest form.
- Allow a visit by one of our volunteers to double-check the suitability of your home, including the adequacy of fencing.
- Produce copies of your own dog and cat vaccination certificates.
- Be prepared to take two animals, if you do not have animals of your own.
- If all requirements are met, wait to be matched to a suitable animal.
- In the case of dogs, participate in a “meet and greet” with your new foster
animal and your own dogs (if any).
Things to consider before applying to be a foster carer
Providing good quality foster care requires time, effort, compassion and lots of patience. Puppies and young dogs can be mischievous if left to their own devices. They need exercise and basic training to improve their chances of being adopted. Similarly, dogs that have been traumatized may need extra love and attention.
We can’t predict how long a foster care arrangement will last. It could be a few days or up to 18 months.
When you become an ARK foster carer, you make a firm commitment to ARK and to the animal/s you are fostering.
ARK supplies all food and bedding. We also cover all veterinary expenses and medications, provided you liaise with us first and use our preferred clinic (unless of course, it’s an emergency).
By becoming an ARK foster carer, you join a network of animal lovers, who are available for advice and support.
The role of an ARK foster carer is to provide:
- A safe, loving and secure home for the animal/s. (For cats, this means living inside the house 100% of the time. For dogs, some inside time is desirable for socialisation purposes.)
- Ready access to clean water and ARK-provided food.
- Opportunities for exercise and play.
- Occasional transport to market days and to and from vet appointments.
- Photos and behavioural feedback so we can promote the animal/s on social media and the ARK website.
- Access to the animal/s for “meet and greets” with potential adopters.
- Regular feedback to ARK on the health and behaviour of the animal/s.
ARK supplies all food and bedding. We also cover all veterinary expenses, provided you liaise with us first and use our preferred clinic (unless of course it’s an emergency).
By becoming an ARK foster carer, you join a network of animal lovers, who are always available for advice and support.